POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet frustrations : Re: Internet frustrations Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internet frustrations
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Apr 2010 11:52:20
Message: <4bc73634$1@news.povray.org>
>> - Links that won't open in a new tab.
>
>   What browser are you using which does that? I have never noticed such
> a thing.

Firefox.

The problem seems to be that some links use a JavaScript onClick event
to change the page URL, rather than using an anchor tag like any normal
human being would.

And then there are the flashy pages that use AJAX to reload just part of
the page, keeping the headers, sidebar, etc. unchanged. So now the URL
hasn't even changed, so the back button is useless...

>> - Advertising.
>
>   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
>
>   It's surprisingly effective.

Maybe I'll take it for a test drive sometime.

> It's even able to remove ads from flash videos
> (you know those which some video sites play before every video you want
> to watch?)

Oh, I hate that.

>   As for popups, Firefox has a setting that blocks them. I thought it was
> on by default.

Yeah, that's right. And it seems to work for sites that pop up *windows*.

The latest trick seems to be where the whole web page turns dark and a
box appears on top of it. I don't know how it's rendered, but it seems
to be part of the page itself. (I.e., it's certainly not a seperate
browser window.) Popup blockers seem to have no effect on this.

>> - Stuff which is "free", yet you still have to "register" to actually
>> get it.
>
>   What irritates me is when some people want to share some file and they
> put it on one of those free file sharing websites where you have to jump
> through a dozen of hoops and enable *everything* in your browser (javascripts,
> cookies, referrers...) in order to get the file. (More often
> than not the website will choke because it doesn't like your browser or
> its settings.)

Or because the site gets 55,487,215,678,425 hits per second and the
servers can't cope...

Yeah, I hate that too! (Fortunately, I have a web host that I pay actual
money for, and I can put things on that.)