POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet frustrations : Re: Internet frustrations Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internet frustrations
From: Warp
Date: 15 Apr 2010 11:37:40
Message: <4bc732c4@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> - Links that won't open in a new tab. So you've got a screenful of
> search results, but you *cannot* open each result in a seperate tab.
> Sometimes a new tab opens, but the original tab navigates to the new
> location as well. Sometimes you get a new blank tab. Sometimes you get
> no tab at all. Either way, I've got a huge number of links to
> investigate, and I have to do it by manually using the back button to
> get back to the search results. WTF?

  What browser are you using which does that? I have never noticed such
a thing.

> - Advertising. You know the sort of thing. Excessive Flash animations.
> Windows that pop up every time your mouse pointer happens to brush past
> something. Every third paragraph being a bannar ad. Pages that open with
> "First, a word from our sponsors. (Click below to skip this.)" Are you
> TRYING to annoy me to the point of leaving your site?

  It's surprisingly effective. It very transparently removes ad banners
from webpages (it uses a known blacklist, and you can manually add to
the list if you want). It's even able to remove ads from flash videos
(you know those which some video sites play before every video you want
to watch?)

  As for popups, Firefox has a setting that blocks them. I thought it was
on by default.

> - Stuff which is "free", yet you still have to "register" to actually
> get it. Sometimes they won't let you download it until you give them
> your life history. Sometimes you have to give them an email address so
> they can email you the download link (and a bunch of spam for the rest
> of your life). Sometimes the software is "free for anyone to use", but
> each time you install it you have to enter a machine-specific "license
> key" to "activate" the program. (I.e., you can't just install it on any
> machine you want.)

  What irritates me is when some people want to share some file and they
put it on one of those free file sharing websites where you have to jump
through a dozen of hoops and enable *everything* in your browser (javascripts,
cookies, referrers...) in order to get the file. And of course you don't get
the file by simply using the provided url, nor even by clicking on a link
at the page behind that url, but you click a link, and then you click another
link, and then you click a third link, and then you wait like a minute
because the free sharing site makes you wait if you don't pay money for
them and then you *might* get the file if you are really lucky. (More often
than not the website will choke because it doesn't like your browser or
its settings.)

--
                                                          - Warp