POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet frustrations : Re: Internet frustrations Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internet frustrations
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Apr 2010 11:35:35
Message: <4bc73247@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> - Network installers.

At least MS usually gives you a full-download link if you look around for
it. Most other software too. The network install is when you don't want to
install the whole package, so it automatically picks out the bits that work
for you. (E.g., it doesn't download the firefox add-ins if you don't have
firefox installed.)

> TRYING to annoy me to the point of leaving your site?

Actually, yes. Once you get the advertisement, it's actually negative value
to have you look at the content you wanted to see.

> won a car!" (...do I *look* stupid?)

Turn off your webcam. You might get fewer of these.

> - Stuff which is "free", yet you still have to "register" to actually
> get it.

That's what a free junk email address is for.

> - Products which utterly fail to explain what they are. "It has feature
> X! It has feature Y! New in v0.0.0.2.4 is features Z!" Yes, but WHAT
> DOES IT DO??

Welcome to open source!  :-)   [Or any free software, for that matter.]
I also like the ones that describe themselves only in terms of feature sets
of other products, usually other products that no longer exist.  "Version 3
is just like Version 1, except the frobnitz option is spelled spangulg."

> - Broken links that pretend not to be broken links. I.e., you request a
> page that doesn't exist, and the server attempts to "guess" what you
> mean and provide that, rather than actually telling you "sorry, that
> page doesn't exist". Obviously, being a machine, it always guesses
> wrong. And so you end up with a random unrelated page and no idea why it
> happened.

Or a broken link handler that redirects you to a page saying you're screwed,
making it impossible to simply fix the URL instead of typing it in again.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling together,