POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy elections : Re: Bl**dy elections Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy elections
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 13 Apr 2010 17:41:04
Message: <4bc4e4f0$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/13/2010 8:20 AM, Darren New wrote:

>>> California.
>>
>> OK, well I knew it was one or other of the crazy states. ;-)
>
> Generally speaking, Florida isn't really considered one of the crazy
> ones. California and Massachusetts are the crazy ones.

Depends on your definition of crazy. A **lot** of the south still has
the "I wear a confederate flag on my shirt to show that I like states
rights, but I ain't no racist.", then you look at the two issues that
where "state rights", and they where a) right to own slaves, and b)
right to tell the fed to kiss their ass and break from the union, if
they where not allowed to have (a). Its also common practice, even in
Florida, to hear a lot of veiled racist comments from the locals, and
find history books claiming that "economics" was the prime issue in the
civil war, while glossing over the fact that the "economic issues" of
the time where paying people to do work, a fear that losing slavery
would devastate the south, and incomprehension as to how all that cotton
was gonna get picked, without unpaid workers to do it for them. One of
the favorite quotes is even, often, "Both blacks and whites benefited
from the situation."

A large segment of the Tea-bagger movement is using rhetoric, and signs,
and statements, that more than a few people who remember desegregation
have commented sound damn familiar, and more than a few that, while
claiming otherwise, are very similar to statements being made by
secessionists *prior* to the civil war. Heck, some are even slipping up
and stating the propaganda from the period, then backpedaling in false,
but politically expedient, embarrassment. Nope, pretty much the whole
south, including Florida, is full of some serious kooks, and from what
one person said, who grew up there, even the liberals tend to believe
the revisionist BS about the whole civil war thing not being at all
about slaves or racism. California, by comparison, if not for a few
religious kooks of their own, would make a good European nation (though,
more so 30-40 years ago, before they let some of those kooks close down
nude beaches, and other de-liberalizations).

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {