POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How times have changed : Re: How times have changed Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How times have changed
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Apr 2010 11:38:57
Message: <4bc49011$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> This is probably explained by the technology of the time.

That's a better explanation than what I was thinking.

I was wondering if the CDs nowadays get the "album" version of the song, and
what you're getting from the '50s is the "radio" version of the song. You
can usually find two different versions of modern popular music, one cut
down to fit between commercials, one designed to play out the entire song as
conceived.  Usually if there's a long break in the middle, followed by a
refrain, that's the bit that gets cut.

I was amused when I realized several of the Queen songs have cross-song
references, ensuring they would always be played together even on the radio.
Last time I really listened closely, I wasn't nearly cynical enough to
believe this was done on purpose for financial reasons.

And, for what it's worth, I have several albums where one track fills the
entire side of an LP, and others where the tracks are are intentionally
somewhat longer than you could fit on an entire LP, even if there was a
reasonable place to split them in the middle. I wouldn't call them trance as
such.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling together,