POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How times have changed : Re: How times have changed Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How times have changed
From: Doctor John
Date: 13 Apr 2010 10:59:32
Message: <4bc486d4$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
<snippity>

> Last night I transcoded 4 hours of this stuff, and I could barely find
> a track that was longer than 3 minutes. Almost all of them are two
> minutes and something, and a few aren't even two minutes long. A
> vanishingly small number exceed 3 minutes, and not one single one
> reaches to 4 minutes.

This is probably explained by the technology of the time. 3-4 minutes
was the track length that could fit on the 78's and (later) 45's. If you
wanted reasonable playback volume you had to shorten the track. IIRC
'House of the Rising Sun' by The Animals was the first 45 to exceed a
playback time of 5 minutes.
The length of Trance tracks is probably a function of the length of time
you can listen without getting bored in your own home. In a club setting
the live mix is considerably longer, this time a function of how long
the clubbers can remain on their feet and the dj can improvise in a haze
of coke and E's  :-)

John
--
Cogito sum,|| wbu### [at] tznvypbz (rot'ed) || GPG Key Fingerprint:
ergo sum,  ||   These opinions are mine alone,   || 0D9BCF4CF1B71CA2F5F7