POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Generics annoyance : Generics annoyance Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Generics annoyance
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Apr 2010 18:41:08
Message: <4bc3a184$1@news.povray.org>
Actually, one place I think C++ style templates beat out generics is in this:

In MS's simple game libraries, there's a class called GameComponent.
It inherits from IUpdatable, IDrawable, and IMumble, each of which provides
the declaration of one of the main routines in a game (update, draw, and
initialize, respectively).

Now, if I wanted (and I do) to make a collection of things that act like
GameComponent objects but aren't necessarily game components, I don't think
I can do that in C#. I would have to have a collection parameterized on all
three of those interfaces. GameComponent supports a bunch of things that i
might not want to have to support, but I can't make a collection that'll let
me add "anything with those three routines, including GameComponent."

I think this is something that Google's Go did better, if I understand it.
C++ templates don't have that problem, but that's because you don't compile
them separately, so what would normally have to be a runtime check gets done
at compile time.

In any case, it's rather annoying. :-) I might have to figure out how to
patch up MS's samples to also host a collection of game components as well
as the scene-activation/deactivation they do.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling together,