POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can I use a function to create a pigment WITHOUT using a colour_map? : Can I use a function to create a pigment WITHOUT using a colour_map? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Can I use a function to create a pigment WITHOUT using a colour_map?
From: Rarius
Date: 11 Apr 2010 14:41:56
Message: <4bc217f4$1@news.povray.org>
I just can't get my head around this problem...

I am trying to render a high resolution image of Saturn's rings. I can't use
colour maps for this as they won't have the resolution required (I believe
colour_maps are limited in the number of elements you can have!)

I have written a group of float functions that produce the red, green, blue,
transparency and several various albedo values. I also have a function that
varies between 0 and 1 across the ring plane... OK so far.

My problem is that I cannot seem to combine these to produce a pigment.

The following code fails with a "numeric expression expected" error...
disc
{
    0, z, OuterEdge, InnerEdge
    pigment
    {
        rgbt<fRingRed(x,y,z), fRingGreen(x,y,z), fRingBlue(x,y,z),
fRingTrans(x,y,z)>
    }
}

It appears you can't put functions into a rgbt<>.

Can anyone else suggest how to do this?

Rarius