POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fade Cutoff : Re: Fade Cutoff Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fade Cutoff
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 11 Apr 2010 13:11:35
Message: <4bc202c7$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> The only issue I have is that there is probably some way to accomplish
> this using light groups; but this is a quick-and-simple way for the
> modeling artist to accomplish the time savings, so perhaps a bit of
> redundancy is acceptable.

true, in most cases there will also be a way to achieve the same
result with light groups. But it may require a lot of manual work,
for example, if a candle illuminates part of the wall of the room,
you'd need to cut that segment out and put it into the light_group.

Also, if you wish to move objects or light_sources you will then
have to restructure your entire scene. I'm not sure how modeling
artists think about this but software developers don't like it ;)