POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is what I like pov-ray for : Re: This is what I like pov-ray for Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is what I like pov-ray for
From: clipka
Date: 8 Apr 2010 05:39:33
Message: <4bbda455$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.04.2010 15:36, schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> 2D patterns for filling the plane, I made a few in 3.1g, for regular
> tiled floor. tiling of 2D infinite plane can also be irregular (c.f.
> Penrose) but I do not want to explore that.

Neither do I. Aperiodic tiling is pretty unsuitable for procedural
object generation.

It is possible, but as demonstrated by the crackle pattern (which is
aperiodic as well) it can eat memory like mad under certain circumstances.

> P.S: I hate overloaded modifiers on existing object, I tought your
> repeat was a new CSG object, but if it must be inside a union, I do not
> like it (what about using it inside an intersection... and other CSG ?
> painfull)
>
> intersection {
> 	object { A }
> 	union {
> 		repeat {
> 			object { B }
> 			}
> 		}
> 	}
>
> intersection {
> 	object { A }
> 	aleph3 {
> 		object { B }
> 		}
> 	}

Um... no, you still misunderstood:

intersection {
     object { A }
     union {
         repeat { x, y*2, z }
         object { B }
     }
}

Same construct should go for merge{} of course.