POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can you use the trace command on a heightfield? : Re: Can you use the trace command on a heightfield? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can you use the trace command on a heightfield?
From: clipka
Date: 8 Apr 2010 05:20:54
Message: <4bbd9ff6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.04.2010 05:46, schrieb Dre:

>> I've been trying and trying and I cant get it to work.  I've successfully
>> used the trace() command on isosurfaces and simple boxes, spheres but I
>> cant for the life of me get this to work.

How does the failure-to-work manifest itself? Are we talking e.g. about
a parser error?

> This doesn't work:
>
> #declare norm =<0, 0, 0>;
> trace(object,<xPos, 10, zPos>,<xPos, -10, zPos>, norm>)
>
> Yet this does:
>
> #declare norm =<0, 0, 0>;
> #declare startPoint =<xPos, 10, zPos>;
> #declare endPoint =<xPos, -10, zPos>;
> trace(object, startPoint, endPoint, norm)
>
> Unless I'm doing something wrong, that seems broken to me...

Well, unless you introduced a typo when writing this posting, I'm not at
all surprised: In the non-working example, you have an extra ">" after
"norm". I'm not sure what the parser makes of this, but most likely not
what you expected.