POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can you use the trace command on a heightfield? : Re: Can you use the trace command on a heightfield? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can you use the trace command on a heightfield?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Apr 2010 03:18:02
Message: <4bbd832a$1@news.povray.org>
"Dre" <and### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht
> "Dre" <and### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
>> Hi, as the title states, can you use the trace command on a heightfield?
>>
>> I've been trying and trying and I cant get it to work.  I've successfully
>> used the trace() command on isosurfaces and simple boxes, spheres but I
>> cant for the life of me get this to work.
>>
>> Just wondering if this actually does work or I'm barking up the wrong
>> tree!
>>
>> Cheers Dre
>>
> Nevermind, I worked it out, that trace command has some weirdness about
> it.
>
> This doesn't work:
>
> #declare norm = <0, 0, 0>;
> trace(object, <xPos, 10, zPos>, <xPos, -10, zPos>, norm>)
>
> Yet this does:
>
> #declare norm = <0, 0, 0>;
> #declare startPoint =<xPos, 10, zPos>;
> #declare endPoint = <xPos, -10, zPos>;
> trace(object, startPoint, endPoint, norm)
>
> Unless I'm doing something wrong, that seems broken to me...

No, trace() is not broken. The following always works for me, with whatever
object as target:
    #declare Norm =  <0, 0, 0>;
    #declare Start = <my.x, 10, my.z>;
    #declare Pos = trace (Obj, Start, -y, Norm);

Start must be above the object, so adapt the y value; -y indicates the
direction of tracing.

Thomas