POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Special letters : Re: Special letters Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Special letters
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 8 Apr 2010 03:02:06
Message: <4bbd7f6e$1@news.povray.org>
On 07.04.10 23:58, Alain wrote:

>> Hello!
>>
>> How can I use fonts in POV-Ray, that consist special characters, like
>> with

> Add:
> global_settings{char_set utf8}

Correct.

> Then, for most characters, you will need to use chr(Char_Number)

Actually, that is not correct. One can either use an editor capable of
editing UTF-8 files (see
<http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/263/>) and things will "just
work", or use the backslask-u encoding, which for some reason ended up being
described in <http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/242/>, but
nonetheless is handled correctly for all strings.

For the umlaut-o the code would be "\u00F6". What needs to be remebered
though is that POV-Ray only supports the "Basic Multilingual Plane" of
Unicode (see details about Unicode i.e. at
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Character_Set> or of course in the
Unicode standard). This limitation is mainly due to the TrueType font
handling code not being able to handle more than UCS-2 correctly.

	Thorsten, POV-Team