POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectrum : Re: Spectrum Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spectrum
From: scott
Date: 6 Apr 2010 03:21:25
Message: <4bbae0f5$1@news.povray.org>
> Now, what kind of a picture you could make with a "light" having a 2 Km
> wavelength, I have no idea. I vaguely gather that there's some sort of
> relationship between the wavelength of something and the size of object
> you can see with it. (Hence electron microscopes have better resolution
> than light microscopes, for example.)

The issue is diffraction.  Once the objects get to the same scale as the
wavelength then things get blurry.  For example normal light goes through
your doorway in straight lines, if something is geometrically obscured by
the wall, the light from it won't reach you (directly at least).  However if
your "light" has a wavelength of 1 metre (or your "doorway" has a width of
100 nm) then you'll be able to see things that are geometrically "blocked"
by absorbing materials.  This is because the wave will diffract as it goes
through the gap.

IOW I suspect if light had 2 km wavelength then everything would be a big
blur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction