POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : American vs. European government systems : Re: American vs. European government systems Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: American vs. European government systems
From: John VanSickle
Date: 4 Apr 2010 21:00:12
Message: <4bb9361c$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> On 4/3/2010 8:18 PM, John VanSickle wrote:
>> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>>
>>> Besides, if you want to get soldiers to shoot Americans, just don't let
>>> them know they're Americans. I don't think it was ever a "strong"
>>> protection.
>>
>> I was in the U.S. military for twenty years. Anyone trying to turn our
>> military into a force for oppressing fellow Americans is going to have
>> to make radical alterations to our military's culture.

> Hmm. Like recent, but failed, attempts to replace more balanced
> religious representatives with evangelicals, while actively excluding
> other religions, by people that have been fairly clear that they don't
> exactly think that a) all Christians, and especially b) non-Christians,
> should necessarily have the same rights, or even, in some cases,
> citizenship?
>
> Yes, it would require a radical restructuring, but the nature of the
> animal is that it is authoritarian driven, and teaches the people in it
> to follow orders, so..

...and has recurring training on the topic of orders that are illegal
and which must not be obeyed.  Every year the promotions testing covers
topics like the Law of Armed Conflict, which prohibits targeting
non-combatants, hospitals, houses of worship, and other assets which
have no military value.

The shift to the all-volunteer military has affected our services in
ways that most civilians do not appreciate, and this change is most
certainly *not* reflected in the way that civilian news organizations
report on the military.  "Do as you're told and don't ask questions" is
not a valued idea in the U.S. military, and has not been for decades.

Regards,
John