POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : How do we want photons { pass_through } to work? : How do we want photons { pass_through } to work? Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:45:01 EDT (-0400)
  How do we want photons { pass_through } to work?
From: clipka
Date: 2 Apr 2010 14:42:16
Message: <4bb63a88$1@news.povray.org>
First, here's bad news:

We have a bug in photons { pass_through }.

The current implementation mechanism is (and apparently has always been)
causing an "amplification" effect on photons. See
http://bugs.povray.org/task/93 for an example scene.

Then, there's good news:

I located the error.

There is a piece of code in PhotonTrace::ComputeLightedTexture that
causes pass_through objects to *both* let the photon pass unaffected
*and* have a clone of it pass trough it with all effects - transmit &
filter attenuation, reflection & refraction - the whole smash.

Duh!

Question is, how to fix this thing? Do we just want to suppress
reflection & refraction but do transmit & filter attenuation? That would
be my favorite, though according to the documentation only media-based
attenuation should occur.