POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : BOXED pattern with image_map, as DECAL : Re: BOXED pattern with image_map, as DECAL Server Time
2 May 2024 02:39:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BOXED pattern with image_map, as DECAL
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 1 Apr 2010 13:27:28
Message: <4bb4d780@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:

> the documentation isn't completely clear about how the map's index values treat
> an image_map.

there is no special treatement for image_maps. If the value
you put before the image_map entry is V, and the boxed pattern
at a certain point in space evaluates to x (0<=x<=1), then the
resulting pigment is:

  x ==  0  ==> Fully transparent
  x >=  V  ==> Pigment as specified at V (last entry in map)
0 < x < V ==> Resulting pigment is weighted average of
               fully tansparent and specified pigment
               depending on how close x is to 0 or V.

E.g. if x = 0.5*V you will get 50% transparency. For your
decal you don't want fading from the center so you need a very
small value for V.

> Note the horizontal wing, and how the image is barely visible on
> it--I scaled the box very thin to get that.

if possible, it will of course be preferrable to apply the
texture to the target object *before* adding extra geometry,
so it will not be visible at all on the horizontal part.
But I assume this was just for demonstration ;)