POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very retro : Re: Very retro Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very retro
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Mar 2010 13:30:13
Message: <4bb386a5$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Yep. Again fixed in XP. There you can press F8 immediately, without
> needing to scroll down first. (I guess the idea was for "force" you to
> read it - yeah, like that works!)

It does, in a legal sense. If they can prove you were required to scroll
thru the whole thing and then said "yes, I agree", they have a much stronger
position than someone who said "Oh, look, press F8 to continue" and pushed it.

People have lost lawsuits like that because the agreement you were agreeing
to was on a different web page linked from the one with the agree button,
and even if the agreement was on the same page but needed scrolling in the
default browser setup.

Blame the lawyers.

I guess by the time 2000 rolled around, the courts had gotten their act
together on clickware agreements.

>> Ah yes. Service pack 6a, which is service pack 6 with the patent
>> license violating code removed. :-)
>
> Is that the only difference?? o_O

AFAIK, yes.

--