POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very retro : Re: Very retro Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very retro
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Mar 2010 11:55:51
Message: <4bb37087$1@news.povray.org>
>> - Boot the CD. Windows XP gives you the little "press any key to boot
>> this CD or wait X seconds to boot normally", but NT just boots into
>> the installer, weather you meant to or not.
>
> All the Windows installers will boot directly into the CD if there's no
> bootable OS installed already.

Ah yes, that's a subtle point. Windows XP *checks* to see if an OS is
present. If not, it boots the CD. If there is an OS already present, it
requires you to press a key to boot the CD.

Windows NT, on the other hand, just boots the CD, no matter what.

>> - Accept the license agreement. (You must repeatedly press PGDW to get
>> to the bottom before you can press F8 to accept.)
>
> I always liked that one.

Yep. Again fixed in XP. There you can press F8 immediately, without
needing to scroll down first. (I guess the idea was for "force" you to
read it - yeah, like that works!)

>> - The Windows NT boot screen appears. If you selected to format with
>> NTFS, then Windows will now convert the existing FAT partition with
>> all your files on it to NTFS like you actually asked for. (WTF?)
>> Presumably because the text-mode installer doesn't grok NTFS yet or
>> something...
>
> Yes. Plus, apparently many people were upgrading earlier versions of
> Windows anyway.

When I joined, we had lots of 98/NT machines. Each with a FAT partition
and two folders, C:\WINDOWS for 98, C:\WINNT for NT. ;-)

> Ah yes. Service pack 6a, which is service pack 6 with the patent license
> violating code removed. :-)

Is that the only difference?? o_O