POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very retro : Re: Very retro Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very retro
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Mar 2010 10:34:04
Message: <4bb35d5c@news.povray.org>
Oh, how quaint. I'd forgotten about that. Yes, if you select "shut down
my PC", it sits there for a few minutes saying "writing unsaved changes
to disk" (despite there being no CPU or HD activity). And then it pops
up a message saying "it is now safe to turn off your PC".

Yes, that's right, you have to manually turn the power off. The OS
doesn't do this automatically. It predates the time when it was
physically possible to turn off the PC in software.

Now, if you look up the appropriate Microsoft KB article, it tells you
how to replace HAL.DLL with a patched version, and then edit a registry
key to enable an extra option in the shutdown dialog that says "shut
down and power off", which really *does* power off your PC. (Unless it
lacks that feature, in which case you get a Blue Screen Of Death when
you try it. I have seen this happen once or twice...)

Indeed, many years ago I actually scripted this whole operation -
replacing HAL.DLL, setting the registry key, etc. Back when I actually
gave a damn. Ah, the memories... Jesus, I've been working here FAR too
long! o_O