POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith : Re: Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific Faith
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 Mar 2010 15:52:26
Message: <4bb2567a@news.povray.org>
On 3/28/2010 3:53 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Still, its an interesting idea, and explains nicely why your desk will
>> never "jump" all into one corner of the room, for no reason.
>
> I think we already knew that. If you work out the probability that
> happens, it's exceedingly low.

Well, not really. The presumption is still that it *can* do so. However,
if there is a limit on what things can do that, such that a desk doesn't
simply have almost "no" chance of doing such a thing, but *absolutely no
chance*, then you have a difference situation. That is the point.
Standard QM insists its possible, just so insanely improbable that you
will never see it happen. But, if QM gets even more greatly limited, or
virtually switched off, for objects whose size and density exceeds some
specific factor... That is a whole different ball game, since it means
your QM is trapped, like air in a balloon, and no longer has the "range"
needed to cause you desk to do such a thing.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {