POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why homeopathy can be dangerous : Re: Why homeopathy can be dangerous Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why homeopathy can be dangerous
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Mar 2010 14:10:53
Message: <4bb23ead$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It's scary that eyewitness testimony is the *highest* form of evidence in
> most courts of law, even though eyewitness testimony is more or less the
> same thing as anecdotal evidence.

Uh, not really. The way it works in the USA is that if someone does a test,
they have to testify what the test was. So the evidence is the policeman
saying "I measured the skid marks and they were 12 feet long" followed by
the scientist saying "if you are going 87MPH and slam on the brakes, your
skid marks will be about 12 feet long."  (Followed by the other side saying
"if the tire had blown out, the skid marks would be 12 feet long even if he
was only going the legal speed limit at the time" perhaps.)

One can't just present the facts. Some *person* has to present the facts
*and* testify that they are true, and then the jury has to decide whether to
believe it or not.  You can't just show a photograph as evidence. You can
show a photograph as evidence if you have the photographer come up and say
"I took this photo and what's in the photo is what I saw when I took it, and
the photo hasn't been doctored."

In science, the equivalent is peer review and replicated experiments. You
don't really want to use that technique in a murder investigation. ;-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling together,