POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why homeopathy can be dangerous : Re: Why homeopathy can be dangerous Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why homeopathy can be dangerous
From: Warp
Date: 30 Mar 2010 13:50:46
Message: <4bb239f6@news.povray.org>
> Here's the video I was thinking of:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWE1tH93G9U

  I found a related video amusing: "Why Homeopathy Works and Makes Sense":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xedLd9djgyg

  Not surprisingly, it did not explain why homeopathy works or did it make
any sense...

  I also like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFxniaxj_Dk

  He says that:

  1) James Randi is offering 1 million dollars to anyone who can prove that
homeopathy works, but Randi "is the judge, jury and executioner" (clearly
implying that it's up to Randi himself to decide whether the million dollars
are awarded or not).

  It's curious how the charlatans always distort that point, even though
the James Randi Foundation makes it absolutely clear: There is *no* judging
process. Nobody, not Randi nor anybody else, goes through the results of the
experiment and decides whether it deserves the million dollars or not.

  The challenge works like this: The person who claims to be able to prove
homeopathy to work (or any supernatural thing) and the foundation both agree
on a test and the testing conditions. Then the person does the test, and if
the result is what was previously agreed, he gets the million dollars
*automatically*. No questions asked, no judgement, no people deciding whether
it deserves the million dollars or not. It's automatic.

  2) He has offered to Randi to demonstrate homeopathy on a double-blinded
test in order to win the million dollars, and he says that Randi agreed for
such a test to be performed. Then, rather than going and actually doing the
test, he just rambles about studies in literature. So basically he is saying
"I could do the test, but I don't have to because it has already been done
countless times". In other words, he is avoiding actually going there and
doing it.

--
                                                          - Warp