POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith : Re: Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific Faith
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Mar 2010 12:11:24
Message: <4bb222ac$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
>> How about the fact that the stars of the universe are all red-shifted
>> the farther they get from *us*?  Or the fact that we seem to be the
>> only creatures in the entire *universe* that broadcast radio signals?
>
> For the latter see the Drake equation.

I'm familiar with it. What about it?

>> People don't say "the red shift shows everything is moving away from
>> us" or "humans happen to live where time passes fastest in the
>> universe." They say "the red shift shows everything is moving away
>> from everything else."
>
> We say that because we believe in Lorentz invariance.

Yep. That doesn't mean things are moving away from us. We can't measure
whether they're moving away from us. All we can measure is the red shift.
The assumption is that the red shift is caused by relative motion, and not
the geometry of the universe.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling together,