POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith : Re: Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific Faith
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Mar 2010 12:09:16
Message: <4bb2222c@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> John VanSickle wrote:
>
>>> Many things claimed by the non-religious worldview (such as the age
>>> of the earth) demand that things like the speed of light and the
>>> decay rate of radioactive isotopes have always had the values we
>>> measure them to have today.
>>
>> No they don't. They're measured in different ways and they agree.
>
> Although if the values for these constants are in fact the result of
> more fundamental properties of space and matter, then any shift in one
> could only happen with a corresponding shift in the others (for
> instance, the electric constant, the magnetic constant, and the speed of
> light, are all interrelated), and our benchmark is moving.

But that means it didn't change. If everything gets shorter, including your
measuring sticks, then nothing changed. That's exactly how relativity works.

In any case, I'm talking about entirely independent measurements. The
progress of the seasons is measured against the radioactivity of carbon-14
which is measured against the tides caused by the moon which is measured
against the rate of mutations in different species, etc etc etc.

It's how people know the moon has been slowing down and moving away, for
example.

> It's a fair assumption to state that if miracles were happening in the
> world, science would be rather hobbled in its progress.  If a Supreme
> Being wanted science to progress at the fastest possible rate, He would
> refrain from causing miracles.

Assuming the supreme being wanted scientific progress, which would seem to
be in variance to numerous major religions. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling together,