POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith : Re: Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific Faith
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Mar 2010 12:06:06
Message: <4bb2216e@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> I think we can certainly disprove that (for example) humans are at the
>> middle of the universe or that evil spirits interfere in our
>> measurements. (For example, all we need is Satan to appear and admit it.)
>
> But, since any point of reference can only see outward, in the universe,
> as far as light could travel since the beginning of the universe . . .

That's already assuming that everywhere in the universe is homogenous. E.g.,
if we see a galaxy to the north that is halfway to the "edge" of the
universe, you're assuming that if someone in that galaxy looked north, the
"edge" of the universe would be the same distance away, rather than much
closer.

I've seen discussions about the density of galaxies at distances, and how
they don't match what you'd expect if the universe was expanding. But they
do match what you'd expect if the universe was homogenous on a 4-sphere (or
maybe a 5-sphere?) and time was simply running slower farther away because
the normals weren't parallel. I.e., nothing's moving. It's just going slower
from our point of view because it's closer to the horizon as seen by us. Of
course, that's still homogenous, but does it really need to be?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling together,