POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith : Re: Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific Faith
From: John VanSickle
Date: 30 Mar 2010 08:40:58
Message: <4bb1f15a@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> John VanSickle wrote:

>> Many things claimed by the non-religious worldview (such as the age of
>> the earth) demand that things like the speed of light and the decay
>> rate of radioactive isotopes have always had the values we measure
>> them to have today.
>
> No they don't. They're measured in different ways and they agree.

Although if the values for these constants are in fact the result of
more fundamental properties of space and matter, then any shift in one
could only happen with a corresponding shift in the others (for
instance, the electric constant, the magnetic constant, and the speed of
light, are all interrelated), and our benchmark is moving.

>> They also demand that no major changes have been forced upon the world
>> of our experience by some agency, existing outside of that world, at
>> times where we have been unable to make observations.
>
> True. I think there's a general assumption that there isn't a conspiracy
> to fool scientific measurements. (What amuses me is when the faithful
> will assert that it's their caring and loving god doing to lying.)

It's a fair assumption to state that if miracles were happening in the
world, science would be rather hobbled in its progress.  If a Supreme
Being wanted science to progress at the fastest possible rate, He would
refrain from causing miracles.

Which means that the lack of miracles proves nothing...

Regards,
John