POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nostalga concentrate : Re: Nostalga concentrate Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:16:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nostalga concentrate
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Mar 2010 04:23:08
Message: <4bb1b4ec@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> 90% of everything is crap.

I don't think that's necessarily true.

Take YouTube. 99.9998% of YouTube is crap, presumably because *anybody*
can post *anything*. You don't get to release a recording with a major
record label unless you're minimally competant.

> That said, if you keep only 1%, you're doing well.

Indeed. I would imagine all the music ever recorded in the 1950s numbers
in the hundred billions, and I've got, like, 30 tracks here.

> Ever listen to a classical music radio station? Most of it is boring and
> lame. It's only the good music that lasts 100s' of years.

Most classical music sounds dull and boring to me. Only a select few
pieces are worth hearing. Every year my mum forces me to listen to the
New Year's Day concert in Vienna. *yawn*

It's the same with organ music. Once you get over the initial "this is a
pipe organ", most of it is unspeakably dull. But every now and then, the
occasional piece comes along which sounds awesome all the way through.

> I'm wondering what the golden age of rap is going to sound like.

Bahahaha!

I'm wondering what 21st century music will still be popular in 50 years'
time. I honestly can't think of any good music I've heard recently
that's new.