POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A turing machine : Re: A turing machine Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A turing machine
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Mar 2010 13:24:38
Message: <4baf90d6@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Deeply awesome? Not really, no.

I thought it was awesome that it actually reads the tape with a camera
instead of cheating and storing anything in actual memory, for one.

 > It operates far, far too slowly to watch it do anything useful.

I think "TM" and "useful" aren't really intended to go together.

> It's completely opaque why it writes the symbol it does.

I think the LCD display he isn't showing you in the videos covers that.

He also seems to be confused when he says it can compute anything
computable. A Turing machine is a definition of computability, not a result.

There are clearly all kinds of things a TM can't compute, and certainly
things a one-tape TM can't compute. We disregard those sorts of things
*because* Turing defined computability in terms of TMs.

It's like saying passing the Turing test proves you're intelligent.  No, the
Turing test is a definition of intelligence, and if you don't accept that
definition, the test itself is meaningless.  You find that 90% of the
arguments about things like the Chinese Room are simply arguments that the
Turing test isn't a good definition.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling togeher,