POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : gamma tutorial on Wiki : Re: gamma tutorial on Wiki Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:08:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gamma tutorial on Wiki
From: clipka
Date: 27 Mar 2010 19:34:19
Message: <4bae95fb$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>>>   Some brief history of why gamma correction exists in the first place
>>> (going all the way back to the invention of CRT) and where the name "gamma"
>>> comes from could be an interesting tidbit of information. This doesn't need
>>> to be long. One single paragraph should be enough.
>
>> Um... that information is in there already... so you got bored, hm? ;-)
>
>   IIRC gamma correction started from the dawn of television and is related
> to how a TV camera and a CRT works.

Ah, I get your point now.

No, I don't think I want to do a concise essay about gamma in image
processing in general. I'll leave that up to Wikipedia. I'm more in for
the facts pertaining to /digital/ image processing.

Yes, gamma pre-correction in TV broadcasting predates gamma
pre-correction in computers.

No, the one is not the reason for the other; rather, both share a common
reason: It simplifies driving the CRT.

I don't think the first CRTs used for computer displays were full TV
sets, as this would have required a HF modulator in the display adaptor
to drive the TV set's antenna input; more or less directly driving the
CRT would have required a much simpler hardware. So I guess the way TV
images were transmitted over the air was probably irrelevant for the
decision to gamma pre-correct computers' display output.