POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : gamma tutorial on Wiki : Re: gamma tutorial on Wiki Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gamma tutorial on Wiki
From: clipka
Date: 27 Mar 2010 16:41:32
Message: <4bae6d7c@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot schrieb:

> I think this looks and feels very good.

Thank you (and all others so far) for the feedback.

> While - to some extent - I agree with Warp, I believe the structure of the
> text should remain as Clipka wrote it. After all, one can jump directly to
> the practical part if one wants to.

Yes, I'll probably stick to this structure, despite unexpectedly
numerous comments that suggest to change it.

While I do see the benefits of structuring it the other way round, there
is a pretty simple some reason why I didn't: The order I used is simply
my style of writing. I'd probably have a much harder time trying to get
it the other way round and still be happy with the text.

Once I hand over the text to the POV-Ray community, everyone who feels
up to it is free to propose a re-structured version of the text. No
problem there.

I don't think this is really needed though. For the average user, the
how-tos important to them probably boil down to (a) how to properly
calibrate the system and set the Display_Gamma option, and (b) the
advice to stay with POV-Ray's default settings and let the recently
implemented gamma handling automatisms do their job. (a) is best placed
(or at least linked to) in the installation section anyway, and (b) does
not need an elaborate tutorial. For any issues beyond that, I guess the
user will need at least some background information so that they can
assess which of the tips are applicable to their particular problem. And
if they already have that information, they can just skip to the how-tos
by virtue of the table of contents. I think the section titles are
talktive enough for that.

> To make that easier, I suggest to subdivide the text in 2 clear parts,
> Theory and Practice, also mirrored (of course) in the Content, and increase
> the number of code examples in the Practice part.

I guess I'd make that 3 parts: One "what is gamma all about" section
giving background information, one "why should I bother" section naming
some pitfalls, and one "how to" section describing how to deal with
those issues.

I'm reluctant to already put this subdivision into place though; the
current lower-level titles' typography makes me uneasy, them being much
bolder and prominent than normal section titles. Looks like they're
currently not intended to be used.