POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Florida Vacation: Ideas? : Re: Florida Vacation: Ideas? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Florida Vacation: Ideas?
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 26 Mar 2010 17:22:05
Message: <4bad257d$1@news.povray.org>
UncleHoot wrote:
> We're taking a family vacation in Florida, leaving next friday (April 2).
> Ironically, it's supposed to be unseasonably warm in Michigan next week,
> too.  So, hopefully I'll be enjoying the beautiful weather up here before we
> go down there.  :-)
>
> Anyway, I don't plan to visit any of the big amusement parks.  "Mom"
> over-winters down there now, so we're probably going to simply RELAX!
> Imagine that.  But, I'd like to plan at least 3 days where we go out and do
> something.  So far, I've only got one day planned.
>
> So, if you've been to Florida, live in Florida, or whatever, I'm looking for
> possible things to do within perhaps 100 miles of the Orlando area.  Natural
> beauty, quiet beaches, etc, would be at the top of my list, if any such
> places still exist.  Or perhaps anything else that most tourists miss.  I've
> been to Florida several times before, but Disney always seemed to eat up
> most of our time.  Anything different and interesting is worth a mention.

My usual Florida destination is Fort Myers to visit my grandmother. From
there, day trips out to Sanibel Island and the various parks and
preserves. Bird watching and just hiking through mosquitoes.

I have a few memories from when my grandmother lived in Inverness, much
closer to Orlando. Homasassa Springs is one place that jumps to mind. I
think that is where the Crystal River Park is. Glass-bottom boats,
manatees that would eat out of your hand if you weren't encouraged not
to let them, occasional dolphins. If you have kids or want to see the
natural stuff, I can not recommend that highly enough. Google tells me
that, now days, there are tonnes of snorkel and dive and kayaking
schools in the area, I think the one I saw was part of the
state/national park service.

I know the big highlights of my trips then were to Kennedy Space Center,
and the giant theme parks. I remember more about the space center, years
later.