POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : renaming POV-Ray :-) : Re: renaming POV-Ray :-) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: renaming POV-Ray :-)
From: Captain Jack
Date: 26 Mar 2010 15:54:45
Message: <4bad1105$1@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4bace7636188c27867d76f690@news.povray.org...
> Now, as the title already suggests and the newsgroup in which it stands.
> This is
> not a topic to be taken too seriously so don't kill me please for noticing
> what
> probably other people before me already told a thousand times... Here it
> is:
> I'm French. Well that's not actually all of it :-)!
> In French, POV-Ray as a name sounds... how could I call it... really,
> really
> cheap! it's actually pretty close to if it was called "POO-Ray" for
> english
> speakers.
> I don't judge a book by its cover, nor in this case by its title. But this
> will
> drive away so many people to whom I have talked about this software.
>
> What do guys answer to that? would actually anybody else feel that it
> would'nt
> suffer from changing name? I certainly will not be so bold as to suggest
> anything else, this has probably already been done and by users more
> intimate
> with the program. I just had to make sure you were aware of the smiles we
> french
> povray users have to suffer when we mention it. :)

In English, "POV" stands for "persistence of vision", which is a phrase that
is generally used to describe why a series of still images is perceived as
being in motion. So, one way would be to pronounce it out as "persistance de
la vision", although that's three extra syllables.

You could coin a brand new phrase to catch everyone's interest... say,

If you just want to blow them off instead of enticing them, you could offer
then a french translation of a lovely phrase from Kurt Vonnegut's novel,
"Slapstick"; I won't repeat it here, but it involves the phrases"Why don't"
and "rolling doughnut". He didn't coin it, but I like his use of it, and I
find it very effective in some situations. :-D

--
Jack