POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : renaming POV-Ray :-) : Re: renaming POV-Ray :-) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: renaming POV-Ray :-)
From: clipka
Date: 26 Mar 2010 13:51:57
Message: <4bacf43d@news.povray.org>
Mr schrieb:
> Now, as the title already suggests and the newsgroup in which it stands. This is
> not a topic to be taken too seriously so don't kill me please for noticing what
> probably other people before me already told a thousand times... Here it is:
> I'm French. Well that's not actually all of it :-)!
> In French, POV-Ray as a name sounds... how could I call it... really, really
> cheap! it's actually pretty close to if it was called "POO-Ray" for english
> speakers.
> I don't judge a book by its cover, nor in this case by its title. But this will
> drive away so many people to whom I have talked about this software.

No matter what name you choose, you always get this sort of thing for
*some* languages. It's nearly inevitable, and even professional "name
inventors", whose job it is to invent names for cars and other products,
suffer from it. For instance they name a car "Nova", though in some
language it happens to mean "doesn't go".

And besides, I always had the impression that France is one of the
countries where POV-Ray is most popular.