POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NSIS : Re: NSIS Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NSIS
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Mar 2010 08:01:24
Message: <4baca214$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> OK, that's kinda cool. What does it make? An executable package? Or an
>> MSI file?
>
> I have the free MS Express C#, if you point it to a folder to publish
> to, it makes a "setup.exe", a "<name>.application" file and a
> "Application Files" folder (that contains any data/content files your
> application needs).

Right. So it's an executable rather than an MSI file.

(While on the surface there's little obvious difference, apparently MSI
files have certain advantages - like being able to remotely deploy them
and stuff.)

>> I wonder if I can convince VS to build an installer for something that
>> wasn't compiled using VS...
>
> I think in the non-free VS you have vastly more options for installers,
> I would be surprised if what you ask wasn't possible.

Wouldn't surprise me if the free version has fewer options. (Why would
you buy the expensive one otherwise? And deployment is the kind of thing
that only commercial people are likely to care particularly about.) I do
wonder if any version of VS can build arbitrary installers though...