POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : PPM file output broken : Re: PPM file output broken Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:52:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PPM file output broken
From: Alain
Date: 25 Mar 2010 20:21:26
Message: <4babfe06$1@news.povray.org>

> clipka schrieb:
>> It seems to me that PPM file output is broken for bit depths of more
>> than 8 bits per channel (e.g. 16 bits). Can anyone confirm?
>
> ... atcually it seems to me that all bit depth other than 8 bits are
> broken; or is it my image viewer?

I just tryed PPM from 5 to 16 bit per chanel, and only at 8 does the
result is correct. Under 8 bits I get heavy random colours banding, over
8 bits I get "random" coloured pixels all over the object and the
background turns to black if a plain colour, a sky_sphere goes psychedelic.

No problem using PNG at the same depths.

Alain