POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why homeopathy can be dangerous : Re: Why homeopathy can be dangerous Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why homeopathy can be dangerous
From: Warp
Date: 25 Mar 2010 09:05:16
Message: <4bab5f8c@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Some people argue that since homeopathic substances amount to placebos in
> > practice, the entire phenomenon of homeopathy is more or less innocuous

> Homeopathy is innocuous. Believing it works is the danger. :-)

  The danger with homeopathy is that it's an ideology which rides on
people's tendency to mistrust authority and herd behavior. It's an ideology
which tells people that "scientists are closed-minded, hung on their limited
views of nature, and unwilling to accept alternatives" (which couldn't be
farther from the truth, but people just can't understand that).

  In other words, homeopathy is in the same league as conspiracy theories
and religions.

  The article I posted is a perfect example of what kind of thinking
homeopathy produces: The father was so religiously convinced about
homeopathy that he didn't change his mind even after it was clearly
shown to not to work. He refused to acknowledge being wrong even after
his son died.

--
                                                          - Warp