POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why homeopathy can be dangerous : Re: Why homeopathy can be dangerous Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why homeopathy can be dangerous
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Mar 2010 11:40:17
Message: <4baa3261$1@news.povray.org>
>> I find the notion that a medicine becomes stronger as it gets diluted a
>> rather strange one.
>
> Especially when it's diluted to less than 1 part per *the entire
> solution*.

I thought the idea is that "3 parts per million" means that if you had a
million gallons of the stuff, it would contain 3 gallows of whatever?
The fact that you have less than one gallon of the liquid doesn't mean
there's nothing in it.

Having a liquid so dilute that the quantum nature of the atom becomes
significant *does*, however...

> I think Darren had pointed to a couple of videos by James Randi about
> homeopathy that talked about this crazy concept.

I did see a bit of Horizon where they took some Aspirin or something and
diluted it to homeopathic levels, and then did a (small) double-blind
randomised trial and found... about 0.02% difference between the two
groups. In the wrong direction. But then, for the size of study they
used, this is mere sampling noise.