POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NSIS : Re: NSIS Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NSIS
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Mar 2010 07:47:43
Message: <4ba9fbdf$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> (E.g., do a default install of Debian. Click the button marked "change
>> screen resolution". In the window that comes up, the slider to change
>> resolution is disabled. Yeah, that's really helpful.)
>
> This was the same in Windows before XP.  I can't remember the number of
> times I had to go looking for graphics card drivers while not being able
> to change out of 640x480x8bit resolution...

If you don't have the necessary driver installed, it is impossible to
drive the card at a higher resolution.

If Debian wasn't finding the correct driver and defaulting to some
horribly low resolution, I could understand that.

However, the *actual* problem is that Debian is defaulting to a
resolution larger than my monitor, and I'd like to *reduce* it to, say,
1024x768 or something. But nooo...

As petty as it sounds, this is the main reason I'm using OpenSUSE. It
defaults to a sane resolution, and it seems to somehow "know" it's
running under VMware, so things like mouse integration work out of the box.

(I tried installing VMware tools on Debian, but it can't compile it
because there's no compiler. So I installed the compiler, but then it
complained that I don't have the kernel headers. So I installed the
kernel headers. And then it complained that the kernel was compiled with
a different compiler than the one I installed. So I looked for the
version it's asking for... and it's not listed in the Debian package
database. At this point, I gave up in utter frustration.)

It's a pitty really - Debian starts up much faster than OpenSUSE. (Not
that "faster" is the same as "fast", mind you...)