POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NSIS : Re: NSIS Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NSIS
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Mar 2010 07:28:18
Message: <4ba9f752$1@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron wrote:

> I had enough troubles with *.inf file with signed *.sys & *.cat to just
> install a driver (on the 3 supported cpu) to have learned one thing:
>
> Stay away from Microsoft if you can! If not, keep it very VERY very
> basic. And double + triple checks before delivering... twice!
>
> Debian installation is on the other hand a real pleasure for dedicated
> binaries.
> (But I have yet to install from sources for multi-architecture)

And yet, I can get Windows to work, but Debian consistently frustrates
my attempts to make it do what I want.

(E.g., do a default install of Debian. Click the button marked "change
screen resolution". In the window that comes up, the slider to change
resolution is disabled. Yeah, that's really helpful.)

>> Well, I have at least got to the point where the installer works when
>> everything goes according to plan. Trouble is, if there's a problem, the
>> installer merrily continues as if nothing's wrong. Not very graceful!
>
> Even with a basic *.inf, I ended up installing a x386 driver on a amd64
> system... no complains, until the reboot where the service was not
> started... only clue was file size.
> Installing a corrupted (but signed while clean) file ? No complains
> either, you could think they check the signature at installation time,
> at least... no!

I wouldn't mind, but NSIS is touted as this great free tool to take the
hassle out of building complex installers. And yet, most of the time the
"hassle" is figuring out how to get around the limitations of NSIS. Even
something as trivial as finding out which of three possible files exists
is stupidly complex!

As I say, I did look at making an MSI file, but that is apparently
drastically more complex still. (And it's even less-well documented. I
can find the pages that tell you all about how fantastic MSI is, but not
the pages they tell you HOW TO MAKE ONE!)