POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Trying to get a lighting effect to work. (A sort of glow) : Re: Trying to get a lighting effect to work. (A sort of glow) Server Time
2 Jul 2024 19:31:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trying to get a lighting effect to work. (A sort of glow)
From: Alain
Date: 23 Mar 2010 15:37:45
Message: <4ba91889$1@news.povray.org>

> I've been trying to get a material to glow without effecting its surroundings
> with a 'blinding' light, but in order to get the glowing part of the scene to
> look how I want it to, the rest of the scene is illuminated far too greatly.
>
> In the scene below, I would like some reflection of the light in the water, but
> it's a bit overpowering as it is now, and the ramp beneath the light is also
> illuminated much more brightly than desired.

Just remove the 7 lights used to illuminate your chevron object.
Add this to the material's interior:
media{emission <0,.6,1>*9}

Add hollow just before the material statement to enable the object to
contain the media.
Alter the multiplicator to get the desired intensity.

You can change the media to:
media{emission <0,.6,1>*9 density{ spherical}}

if you don't want it to be uniform.
Good thing that you defined it near the origin.

Alain