POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How much does memory bandwidth affect Pov? : Re: How much does memory bandwidth affect Pov? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How much does memory bandwidth affect Pov?
From: clipka
Date: 23 Mar 2010 07:36:01
Message: <4ba8a7a1@news.povray.org>
jhu schrieb:
> Actually I think the question applies to all renderers. I was wondering about
> this when I noticed one of my scenes was using up almost 3 GiB of memory. What's
> the time ratio between the CPU doing calculations and the CPU waiting for the
> data fetch to complete?

I just did an experiment which might give a hint:

My Intel i7 QuadCore machine provides hyperthreading, that is each core
can operate on two threads quasi-simultaneously, quickly switching
between them in case one of them needs to wait for some not-on-chip
component (such as main memory) to complete an operation.

Running with the default of 8 threads (i.e. fully utilizing the
hyperthreading mechanism), POV-Ray 3.7 beta took 54 seconds to complete
a particular scene.

Running with only 4 threads (i.e. utilizing all cores, but not
hyperthreading), the same scene took 87 seconds to complete.

I think this indicates that render threads do indeed spend quite some
time waiting for memory accesses to complete, otherwise hyperthreading
would not give much added benefit. OTOH I think it also shows that
memory latency (i.e. the time it takes to complete a particular memory
request) is more of an issue than memory bandwidth (i.e. the maximum
speed at which memory content can be read), as hyperthreading cannot
help with a memory bandwidth bottleneck either (it would only increase
the number of threads standing by for data from the main memory).