POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NSIS : Re: NSIS Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NSIS
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Mar 2010 06:43:51
Message: <4ba89b67$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Anybody here happen to know anything about NSIS?

So apparently that's a "no" then.

> I was under the impression that NSIS is supposed to make building an
> installer "easy" - but this is manifestly not the case. The
> documentation is terse and unhelpful, the examples are opaque and don't
> cover what I'm actually trying to do, and it's just extremely hard to
> work out how to do anything.

Ah yes, wonderful documentation. Currently I'm trying to figure out how
to make NSIS actually *react* to errors, rather than blindly ignore
them. You would think that a product designed specifically for the
purpose of making complex installers would support you by making this
kind of thing drop-dead easy... but no. Apparently you have to script it
like you're writing psuedo-assumbly language. Yuck!!

> Man, when I started out yesterday, I thought I was trying to do
> something really easy. I guess not!

Well, I have at least got to the point where the installer works when
everything goes according to plan. Trouble is, if there's a problem, the
installer merrily continues as if nothing's wrong. Not very graceful!