POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Techniques for grabbing tagged files off of a data CD. : Re: Techniques for grabbing tagged files off of a data CD. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Techniques for grabbing tagged files off of a data CD.
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Mar 2010 05:28:09
Message: <4ba889a9$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:
> I want to create a CD with a bunch of files on it.  I want to make it easy for
> the user, regardless of OS, to be able to grab subsets of the files.  If we were
> talking about books, say all the ones by Chris Cason or all the ones about
> povray.
>
> I'm wondering if there's some technology out there that can do this? Python
> scripts? Windows Shortcuts?

So you have several *overlapping* sets of stuff?

Well, you could write a Bash script (which will, AFAIK, work with Linux,
BSD, MacOS X, Solaris, HP-UX...) and a batch file (which will work with
MS-DOS, MS Windows, and presumably ReactOS). The fun part is going to be
deciding where to copy the files to; neither scripting language provides
any easy way to do this.

Alternatively, you could try writing something in Java. This has a
reasonable probability of working on any half-modern OS, and provides
ample GUI capabilities for asking the user exactly which set(s) of files
they want, and where to put them.