POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Techniques for grabbing tagged files off of a data CD. : Re: Techniques for grabbing tagged files off of a data CD. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Techniques for grabbing tagged files off of a data CD.
From: clipka
Date: 22 Mar 2010 21:46:35
Message: <4ba81d7b$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn schrieb:
> I want to create a CD with a bunch of files on it.  I want to make it easy for
> the user, regardless of OS, to be able to grab subsets of the files.  If we were
> talking about books, say all the ones by Chris Cason or all the ones about
> povray.
>
> If there were enough room, an inefficient way, but one guaranteed to work, is to
> create separate directory systems, one by author, one by topic, etc..  Chris'
> hypothetical book on povray would be put into two different directories. Then
> the user could go to the directory of interest and copy everything.
>
> I'm wondering if there's some technology out there that can do this? Python
> scripts? Windows Shortcuts?

HTML pages for each topic that link to the relevant files?

AFAIK there's also the possibility to have multiple directory entries on
a CD refer to the same physical sectors, though I guess you'd need
special tools to accomplish that. I heard tell that various copy
protection systems use(d) that approach to inflate the content of the
CD, so that when trying to do a file-by-file copy the resulting data
would be too voluminous to burn on a CD again.