POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NSIS : NSIS Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:16:30 EDT (-0400)
  NSIS
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Mar 2010 11:28:36
Message: <4ba78ca4$1@news.povray.org>
Anybody here happen to know anything about NSIS?

I was under the impression that NSIS is supposed to make building an
installer "easy" - but this is manifestly not the case. The
documentation is terse and unhelpful, the examples are opaque and don't
cover what I'm actually trying to do, and it's just extremely hard to
work out how to do anything.

The installation scripting language is extremely low-level; I'm
basically having to resort to writing a program in a high-level language
to autogenerate the NSIS script, because it's too painful to write by hand.

I especially love the way that if you say "install every file that
matches *.txt", it keeps the directory structure, but it you say
"install the file doc\v21\readme.txt", it loses the directory structure.
Really ****ing helpful, that.

I did have a look at MSI, but that's even harder, with even more
arbitrary limitations.

Man, when I started out yesterday, I thought I was trying to do
something really easy. I guess not!