POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bullet : Re: Bullet Server Time
14 May 2024 00:56:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bullet
From: Alain
Date: 18 Mar 2010 22:26:09
Message: <4ba2e0c1$1@news.povray.org>

> Dave Blandston schrieb:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> This is just a simple bullet made as a lathe object. I wanted to
>> smooth the
>> sharp corners but I wasn't able to get any of the built-in curve types
>> to work
>> for that purpose. I had to use a linear_spline and make faceted
>> corners to round
>> them off. But anyway, you can't see any difference in the final
>> product, which
>> is a 7.62 x 39mm cartidge. I selected that particular round because it's
>> historically important, and there happens to be a diagram showing the
>> measurements on the Wikipedia website. (Actually, only the casing is a
>> linear_spline. The bullet itself is a cubic_spline.)
>
> The shape looks good. But shouldn't the material be different? Pointed
> projectiles made of (or coated with) a soft material such as copper
> doesn't make any sense to me (I'd expect something like steel, maybe
> with a core of lead), and I always thought the cartridge casing would
> typically be made of brass.
>
> Good-looking copper though. What settings did you use?
>
> Area light could do with a smaller size (or further away) - the shadow
> seems unnaturally soft for that small distance between bullet and wall.

Normaly, jacketed munitions are copper or brass.
There are iron or steel jacketed ones, but they are only used in special
cases where you absolutely need the harder munitions possible. But even
then, the munitions are normaly copper plated, and may be steel jacketed
only on the conical part, with a carbide tip.

Another thing in favor of copper: it's density is higher than steel or
iron. Around 5 - 5.5 for iron and it's alloys, about 7.5 for copper if I
remember corectly. Almost 50% higher.

Copper slide well in a steel barel, while steel tend to grind into the
barel. It's not only the hardness that mather, but also the different
crystaline structure of the different metals.

Alain