POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Increasing calculation depth with the mandel pattern? : Re: Increasing calculation depth with the mandel pattern? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Increasing calculation depth with the mandel pattern?
From: Tim Cook
Date: 18 Mar 2010 18:06:19
Message: <4ba2a3db$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Note, however, that you won't be able to increase the accuracy unless you
> use a multiple-precision floating point library which calculates the values
> in software and will inevitably be extremely slow.

Out of curiosity, while I often see "no, arbitrary-precision floats
won't be done in POV ever because they're way too slow", it's never
really indicated just how slow this would be.  Slower than hardware, to
be sure, but that's not much to go on.  Current *single* CPUs can do in
seconds what took hours or days fifteen years ago...in software.

I, for one, would be interested in seeing hard number comparisons.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net