POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bullet : Re: Bullet Server Time
13 May 2024 18:55:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bullet
From: clipka
Date: 18 Mar 2010 15:30:13
Message: <4ba27f45@news.povray.org>
Dave Blandston schrieb:
> Hi there,
>
> This is just a simple bullet made as a lathe object. I wanted to smooth the
> sharp corners but I wasn't able to get any of the built-in curve types to work
> for that purpose. I had to use a linear_spline and make faceted corners to round
> them off. But anyway, you can't see any difference in the final product, which
> is a 7.62 x 39mm cartidge. I selected that particular round because it's
> historically important, and there happens to be a diagram showing the
> measurements on the Wikipedia website. (Actually, only the casing is a
> linear_spline. The bullet itself is a cubic_spline.)

The shape looks good. But shouldn't the material be different? Pointed
projectiles made of (or coated with) a soft material such as copper
doesn't make any sense to me (I'd expect something like steel, maybe
with a core of lead), and I always thought the cartridge casing would
typically be made of brass.

Good-looking copper though. What settings did you use?

Area light could do with a smaller size (or further away) - the shadow
seems unnaturally soft for that small distance between bullet and wall.