POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How does Haskell work? : Re: How does Haskell work? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How does Haskell work?
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Mar 2010 16:03:10
Message: <4ba1357e$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> And then I learned Haskel, which is *completely different*. ;-)

Try then APL, or LISP, or FORTH.

>> Heck even Visual Basic has such as "variant" type.
> Is VB statically-typed yet?

AFAIK, it has always been statically typed since before they put the word
"visual" on front.

>> I think Pascal has the same thing too.
> Not any dialect I've seen.

Yeah. Google for "pascal variant record". It's a case statement inside the
record declaration.

> Smalltalk has a nice idea: Absolutely everything is an object. Including
> the entire fricking IDE. Shame about the performance though, eh?

The performance was actually pretty good when you put it on a CPU built for
it.  Of course it's going to run like crap on a CPU designed for a
statically typed stack-oriented language like C or Pascal.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling togeher,